January 14, 2012

Stiles Legacy, Chapter 1: Off to a Rocky Start


I knew this transfer was going to be difficult, but I really had no idea. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm Adriana Stiles, a teacher from the big city, or at least, I was.




I found myself on the wrong end of a transfer out into the middle of nowhere. Now, I live here.


I work in a small local school.


And I'm on first name terms with my boss, Sylvester. *sigh*


I'm not sure what happened. One moment, he was asking how I was settling in, and, the next... I don't know what came over me! The next day, I avoided the staff room as much as I could. It was a one time mistake, I assured myself. No-one need ever know.

I felt queasy all through the next day, I was sure it was regret, or the cafeteria food, but I called in sick for the next few days, certain I would be over it by then.


Later that night, I heard a baby cry, which was odd, but I assumed it was next door. As I was still quite queasy, I didn't exactly feel like rushing to check it out.


I didn't notice the front door was open until it was too late, my eyes were drawn elsewhere.


A baby basket. A baby basket on my kitchen floor. I could scarcely believe my eyes. Who had left this here? How? Why?


I could not believe someone would just abandon their little girl, such a sweet little girl. There was no note, I didn't even know the poor thing's name.



I rushed to the door, but the street was empty, and it was too late to call social services. I swung by the school, to pick up a few things from the preschool department, a potty chair and a couple of toys.

"I don't suppose you know your phone number, by any chance..."

"I'm a teacher." "Teacher!"

"Who could abandon a gem like you?" "Gem!" "Aww."

The poor dear was growing on me, and I realised I couldn't keep calling her 'the poor dear'. I began calling her Emerald.

A few days later, Sylvester visited, to see why I hadn't been in to work. I think he doubted my reasoning to call in sick. However, I had other things on my mind. That little fling had had... consequences.

"Now?! Now is not a good time!"

"I can see that! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Argh! You're asking me that NOW?"

"I can't believe you didn't tell me!"

I'm afraid things went a little poorly. Sylvester stormed out, and I wondered if he might revoke my transfer. I wasn't sure whether this would be a good thing or a bad thing, but I wasn't really able to dwell on it.

"It's a boy!"


I named him Benjamin, after my father.

"Good night, sweet Benjamin."

---

I'm attempting the Random Legacy Challenge, and documenting my efforts.

My roll for generation one: Mixed Single, Two Children, Heir: #2, Primary Income: Education Career, Goal: Perfect Careers, Fun: Tattoo Addict. (She'll get her first one next time I play, it hasn't quite been a week yet.)

Adriana Stiles' traits are: Artistic, Family-Oriented, Friendly, Genius, Nurturing.
Emerald: Excitable, Loves the Outdoors.
Benjamin: Excitable, Easily Impressed.

Generation two rolled: Couple, Four Children, Heir: #3, Primary Income: Culinary Career, Secondary Income: Private Investigator, Goal: 5 Star Celebrity, Fun: Tattoo Addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment