January 24, 2012

Stiles Legacy, Chapter 7: Secrets Will Out


Olivia received yet another reward, from current mayor, Brain Stern. She was very pleased, Mayor Stern is said to be quite the genius, he's known to reward intelligence greatly.


"Oh, hi! Hey, have I told you about my grandchildren yet? ... Oh, I have?"

I've been noticing Liam lurking about from time to time, that boy worries me a little. The other day, I'm sure I saw him cackle.

"Okay, tell me about yourself, then? ... Oh, in politics? Hey, Emerald's grandfather was in politics! ... Did you hear cackling just now?"

"Anyway, yeah... He made... arrangements. Haven't had to pay a bill in years!"

"Hmm, good point..." 'Oh, this is precious! To the internets!'

'Hm. Well, I don't really know what to do now, chat rooms, I guess? Stir up some drama, if nothing else.'

He's just a kid now, but I worry, his lurking is going to get him in serious trouble when he's older, I'm sure.


Mother has been working on installing solar panels outside. I asked her why, and she said 'bills'. I told her we don't get any, and she said 'exactly!'. I don't understand her sometimes.

She muttered something about not being around forever, whatever that means. I suppose, she is past ninety. But still...


Baby Darren joined the family. Money is still tight, but we're rich in family, at least. I can't help but hope we don't get terribly richer, as it is, we still need to buy a bed for Darren. But that can wait until he's older, I suppose.


The apparition of my father is getting harder to ignore. I swear, he changed the channel on me! I was watching that!


I, suddenly, had somewhere else to be. Yes. I was sure that, later, when I returned to watch TV, the room would be empty. Absolutely empty.


Poor little Carol had a few choice words about our choice in hairdresser when she grew up, but I sat her down and informed her that we didn't have the money to be getting fancy makeovers, and she'd have to make do with what she got.

A cheap haircut and hand-me-down clothes is a small price to pay for a place to live, and food to eat. I'm not sure she understood, but hopefully she will, in time.


That little gnome has gotten... bigger. I think. Maybe it was always that size? Yes, yes, surely it was. That has to be it. I still haven't figured out how they're getting around, but I suspect Liam is involved. Somehow.


Mother has been helping Carol with her homework, more nonsense about not being around forever. Father is dead, and he's around much more frequently than he was when he was alive. She just looked at me funny, I don't think she believed me.

'Ooh! A captive audience!'

That night, however...

"Our grandson just became a teenager, isn't he perfect?" "Oh, goodness, look at my wrist, I gotta go."
She told me she cornered him, and started telling him all about Liam.


And then... he disappeared in a cloud of smoke. I never saw that. I didn't tend to stick around, though, admittedly...


UGH! Gnomes! Now there are two little ones, and two old ones. How, why, what? No. This will not do. I'll have to have a talk with those sons of mine.

Joshua has a rebellious streak, and Liam, well. It could be either of them. It must be one of them!

---

Joshua and Liam are teens now, and Darren is a toddler. It was a lot easier to get group pics when they were children and younger.

Adriana has the 'No Bills Ever' reward, and I expect it to expire with her. I realised I could have an in-story explanation, that it was an additional incentive to keep Emerald's adoption quiet. She is 93 days old now, and I am constantly hovering the camera near her, awaiting the grim reaper.

Also explained in-story is the reason Carol won't be planning any outfits, or changing her hair. I rolled 'Born With It' for misc fun, and this is one I plan on actually doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment